Sunday, October 02, 2005

After Eshleman's questions of being

Is it that god’s will directs me or free will
The leaf spiraling down after the rain
Or that I defy gravity and lift over the mountaintops
A spring seedling unfolding in the Iraqi sun.

I have dreamt about the two rivers, the land of
Mesopotamia and wear the scars of Enkidu in my left hand
Or am I a potential killer, dark slayer of Humbaba or the girl
That walks holding the hand of Gilgamesh

I am responsible for everything I do
And what happens everyday. The way the leaf
Pattern flutters on my skirt and makes you think of my sex.

I am alone beside the two rivers, gravity over the mountaintops
Making them drink. I am the rabbit shrieking in the jaws of the cat
I am the cat unfolding the skin of the rabbit son.
I am no one.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer Stewart said...

the way the leaf and the way of the leaf and the killer of gilgamesh and the class where he's the same as skywalker and jesus has no business here in a poem about free will someone dumb enough to die most painfully because daddy said so just ain't cool, has obviously never broke curfew or put his hand inside a girl's shirt in the back of a chevy parked somewhere dark or snuck out to drink beer with the boys and smoke pot, i bet he would've liked some pot, sat down with peter paul and mary and sung a few lullabys for the hell of it or maybe that explains the water and the wine, they were all high on some kind of prepot pot and a few thousand years of blood and Gore 2000 are what happened after which is why jesus doesn't belong in any poem about free will, cause if he had some he didn't use it, and if he didn't, he sure as hell abused it

10:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

this is outrageous
in reply
the tight bud sleeping

this is contagious
in supply
the clone bud repleting

This is not gorgious
some decry
because daddy said, because daddy said

8:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home